It is scientifically known as Morinda citrifolia. Although the tree is believed to have originated in Southeast Asia, it grows today in most tropical regions of the world.
The fruit is greenish-yellow in color and large, as noted above, with a gravel surface.
The ripe fruit has a characteristic similar to cheese, due to its bad smell.
Noni fruits, leaves, flowers, stems, barks, and roots are used to cure a long list of ailments.
Benefits, properties and uses of noni in health
• Cardiovascular health: Noni juice is very helpful in maintaining cardiovascular health.
It has dilation effects on blood vessels, relaxing smooth muscle cells, resulting in better blood flow in the arteries. This vasodilator effect of noni juice helps regulate blood pressure and helps maintain a healthy heart.
• Liver protection: Noni fruit is also known for its effectiveness in protecting against liver diseases.
Noni juice exerts hepato-protective effects on the liver, which helps protect the organ from exposure to exogenous chemicals and acts as a shield against major liver diseases, such as liver damage.
• Arthritis: The healing powers of noni juice bring relief for inflammatory conditions like arthritis. Scientists have provided qualitative evidence regarding the pain relieving properties of noni juice, which helps relieve pain and tenderness.
• Memory impairment: Noni juice exerts a protective effect in curing memory impairment problems. Noni juice stimulates cerebral blood flow and helps improve memory functions.
• Diabetes: Noni juice helps reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Scientific evidence has testified that noni juice consumption helps reduce the level of glycosylated hemoglobin, serum triglycerides, and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in the body.
In addition to this, it improves insulin sensitivity and stimulates glucose uptake.
• Wound healing: Morinda citrifolia or noni juice is effective in accelerating wound healing.
A study evaluated the healing properties of noni juice and has revealed positive results regarding the increase in the weight of granulation tissues, collagen functioning, hydroxyproline, and protein content.
Aside from the benefits listed above, the proxeronine present in noni juice is an effective anti-inflammatory enzyme that also provides relief from the symptoms of menstrual pain and endometriosis in women.
Noni juice helps to elevate mood, by stimulating serotonin production and avoiding conditions of anxiety and depression.
Nutritional value of noni juice
Noni offers an impressive range of healthy vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
The vitamin content of noni juice include: vitamin C, vitamin B1, vitamin B3, vitamin B2, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, folic acid and vitamin E.
The mineral content present in noni includes: calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron and phosphorus.
Noni has many health benefits. While its taste is not that attractive, much less its smell, for all the vitamins and health benefits it provides, it is worth eating after all.
Remember to consult your doctor before incorporating any natural method to treat your ailments into your diet.