Many people dispense with sauces in meals because they are high in calories, high in fat and often contain unhealthy ingredients.
However, some of them, such as this basil pesto, are healthy, delicious recipes and even have medicinal properties to treat certain disorders.
In this article we give you the recipe for this appetizing basil pesto that, in addition to being a perfect dressing for any dish, has healing virtues to reduce stress and nervousness.
Foods that heal
Hippocrates saidMay your food be your medicine and your medicine your food.
To have a healthy diet that allows us to improve health and prevent diseases, we must know the healing properties of food.
In this way, taking care of ourselves will become a pleasure and we can even experiment with different recipes.
Over time we will realize that we can eat, enjoy and take care of ourselves at the same time, without having to give up a good meal.
Below we detail the medicinal benefits of three natural foods that are included in this recipe.
Basil is an aromatic medicinal plant that stands out for its calming and sedative properties.
- It helps us reduce stress levels naturally, without having to take drugs that cause side effects.
- In addition, it is an excellent digestive remedy, which also helps us when stress causes acidity, gas or poor digestion.
In natural medicine, the essential oil of this plant is used in a habitual way, very suitable for treating decay, physical or mental fatigue, insomnia and discouragement.
It also helps us improve concentration.
The seeds are a gift of nature, since they are very nutritious foods, rich in vitamins, minerals, protein, fatty acids and fiber.
Sunflower seeds, in particular, contain choline and tryptophan, two components that allow us to regulate the nervous system and reduce disorders such as depression, stress or anxiety.
To benefit from these properties, we must avoid sunflower seeds or pipes that are fried or processed, since they oxidize very easily and do not provide us with any nutrients.
Ghee or clarified butter
The third medicinal ingredient in this recipe isghee, a clarified butter typical of countries like India.
- Through a slow cooking process, some of the fat, lactose and toxins have been removed.
- In this way, a lighter, digestive and healthier food is obtained, with a high content of beneficial fats for health.
Its great contribution in nutrients helps us prevent deficits that can cause more stress or difficulties to our body, in addition to improving digestive function, which suffers a lot when the nervous system is weakened.
- 2 or 3 fresh sprigs of basil (only the leaves, not the stem)
- 5 tablespoons of raw and unsalted sunflower seeds (50 g)
- ½ cup of ghee or clarified butter (120 g) (If we do not have it, we can substitute it with coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 clove garlic
- A pinch of salt (to taste)
Many recipes for pesto sauce include Parmesan cheese. However, in this recipe we have chosen to dispense with lactose and make a lighter sauce.
To prepare the basil pesto we will need a blender and a suitable cylindrical container to beat the sauce.
- A couple of hours before making the sauce, we will soak the sunflower seeds.
- We will put the ghee (or oil), the garlic and the salt in the container, and we will mix these three ingredients well.
- Next we will add the sunflower seeds (strained and washed) and the basil leaves, and we will continue beating until they are mixed and we obtain a light green cream.
- If we want it more liquid we can add a little water.
- We will keep the pesto sauce in a hermetically closed glass jar, in the fridge.
- It is better to consume it in the day, or the next day so that it does not lose properties.
Better with Health