Insect repellent safe to manufacture:Containing? Finally the report gives the necessary answers. We have studied the common active ingredients in conventional insect repellants and how they affect our health and the environment, as well as the more natural options. Here is the answer:
Insect repellants are made with two types of ingredients
1. The active ingredient is in repellent chemicals and must appear on the label
2. Inert ingredients are all other products that can be of all kinds, from solvents and preservatives to anti-caking or foaming agents and fragrance, and are not listed on the label.
Some common active ingredients are chemicals of interest
- DEET: Linked to skin irritation, neurotoxicity, has been shown to cross the placenta. It is found in groundwater, surface water, and drinking water.
- Cyfluthrin: Linked to neurotoxicity it is harmful to aquatic invertebrates, fish and bees.
- Permethrin: Linked to neurotoxicity is harmful to aquatic invertebrates, fish and bees.
- Pyrethroids: It is a class of chemical related to neurotoxicity. Some were linked to endocrine disruption and others have been classified as possible carcinogens.
Some plants have effective pharmacological and biological properties because they produce insect repellent extracts, including:
- Clove oil
- Lemon eucalyptus
MADE SAFE (Safe Manufacturing) certified the first insect repellent made entirely from safe ingredients - Kosmatology Bug Repellent Balm is made with a blend of herbs, essential oils, and coconut. And to soothe children's bites, we recommend Oilogic Bug Bites and Essential Oils in Roll-On for itching, which is also MADE SAFE certified.
Remember to choose the right repellent for your family's needs.
If you know the area and are at risk for a mosquito or tick-borne disease, choosing the right repellent for you and your family can help. Look at herConsumer Reporting Guide for Mosquito and Tick Diseases for you to obtain information in your area.
This article was originally published on www.NaturallySavvy.com
The Epoch Times